Monday, May 31, 2010

25 years of awesomeness



















To quote my cousin Abbie "You're like, halfway to 50"

So I haven't updated my blog in months, as evidenced by my lengthy prose in each of the successive posts. Really , I just didn't have the motivation or time to sit down and lay out my thoughts. I mean , some people take blogging as some kind of crude journal writing or whatever. For me, it's an avenue to help keep my friends and family updated and hopefully entertained.

In the end, I'm just happy writing and putting what's in my head on a screen. So what do I have to say, or rather what have I learned in a quarter of a century? Well, I'll make it into a series of quotes, bullet points, lessons, etc.

From Abbie again: You're a doctor so you're not technically a loser
What I've learned: While being a nerd certainly cost me in many ways in my teenager years, it's something I embrace now. Surrounding yourself with the right people and right environment translates that into helping patients and keeping your friends laughing.

I think most everything is worth laughing at
Laugh at yourself, laugh at obstacles.. it's hard to be a big bad wall in your way when someone laughs at you and jumps over you. I used to get in trouble for laughing during prayers and inappropriate times and while I certainly control that better now (furious tongue biting), laughing is so soul enriching. When your belly aches as much as your heart warms, that's a good laugh. Also the danger of laughing with gas. You see, I find farts hilarious. Imagine the loop that's created when you laugh so hard, you val salva, fart. Realize you farted and resume laughing.

Being a gentleman
I remember one of my friends calling me out for walking a girl in the rain, a girl who wasn't single. It was somehow low yield to do so. I do it because well.. it's what I do. Perhaps it's because I've been a big brother for almost 18 years that it's ingrained in me but I'm sure there's some lassie out there who wants her door held open for her.

Being a good listener
Psychiatry sharpened my listening skills. Sometimes you can learn a lot by doing very little but listening a whole lot. This pays off in life. I'd like to think remembering a very little but very personal detail about someone can have the ability to make their day.

"So you're half way through your twenties" - Aunty Cathy (Abbie's mom)
In one sense of the way.. holy crap. I remember several medical school people saying, medical school is all about delayed gratification. You sacrifice your twenties and you take out all kinds of money.. for this degree, this career. Sometimes I think.... "wait a minute.." but mostly I think.. " i totally am okay with that, i really really really really want to be someone's doctor.. "

Do you have a girlfriend Abbie/Maddy (sisters, my cousins that live in Mass.)?
Apparently, I have no reason as to why I don't have a girlfriend. Maddy insinuates to me during my cousin's graduation dinner that unless I'm the only person in Macon.. I've got nothing. I'm still working on that answer

So on a timeline , the highlights

Born couple weeks premature on May 30, 1985 12:59a (4lbs and some odd ounces) to one Leila Abdullah, LPN and Karim Abdullah at Brooklyn Hospital, NY. I spent the next month in the NICU because of feeding difficulties

1985-1990 - Lived in South Ozone Park, Queens, NY - attended Public School 121 - Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Jenko. Most memorable moment: squirting ketchup in my ears on accident and freaking out because I thought I would never hear again.
1990-1998 - Lived in Margate, FL Elementary School/Middle School - little known fact, I spent a few months at a sketch magnet school for math before returning to my regular school. I also was rejected from Gifted Placement because of my inattentiveness and desire to play outside. Oh, and even better, I was once evaluated for speech. Good times.
1998- Moved to Lawrenceville, GA where I've called home since.
I've held several jobs in the past
Bagger/Carts - few months at Kroger when I couldn't drive, it was horrible and quit shortly
Publix - over several years I worked as a cashier, stocker clerk/cashier combo and then during college as a pharmacy tech
In house tutor - I tutored Precalc, Physics and Middle school math and science
ER Secretary - one of my more memorable experiences, I worked at the same hospital my mum worked at.. she would visit me in the morning as she came of for day shift as my night shift was coming to an end . The staff loved the fact that we were related.
Volunteered a good bit
High school/college volunteer - at the same ER I would later work at
HELP - working with elders at a local hospital

Countries I've been to: Canada, Guyana, US, Jamaica, Grand Cayman

States I've spent 24+ hours in: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Massachusetts , New York, Kansas, Colorado

Paraphernalia with celeb signatures: One item, a book signed by Queen Rania of Jordan. This was my very unique present from my second mom/aunt in NY.

Pets over time: Dog (George) in NY, Several Fish, Birds (parakeets in FL and currently Sam, our family's pet cockatiel)

Nicknames : Big Bird, Ice, Robby, Rob, Bert, R.A., Bobert, Bob, The Abdullah, Franco, Rober (pronounced row-bear as one would say in French), Karim

Crushes (not including college/med school)
Elementary School: Patricia, Nicole, Elise, Laura, Miranda
Middle School: Tiffany, Denise, Rosalie, Lindsay, Emma
High School: Lindsay, Patty, Jeanette, Meagan, Tanya, Amelia, Ashley
*there's probably more names.. these are the ones I remember though

Anyway, that's probably enough trivial me information. I am very blessed by the people that surround and support me. Most immediately and perhaps importantly are my parents, my sister, my Aunt Dolly and cousin Andrew in NY. Not to minimize other's contributions but these are the people I lean on that have always been there in the best and the worst. It is no coincidence I turned 25 in their presence in NY, not 48 hours ago. I have a great family, in general. I also have some kick butt friends who make me smile and feel awesome. I enjoy who I am and where I've been. I also look forward to the next great adventure.

Thanks for reading

To quote Barney Stinson (NPH) of HIMYM fame : Barney: In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland.










No comments:

Post a Comment