Friday, April 18, 2014

Montezuma's Revenge

Day 6

So I had chills on my 5th night and woke up feeling horrible ...weak...aches but I brushed it off to an unusually cold night and maybe some dehydration. 

Me and the girls headed out to clinic , hopeful that our three sickest patients made the night .
However , we all had reservations regarding our chef lady with gi bleed.
Needless to say I headed straight to her bed....and I saw a body covered by a blanket. 
...my heart sank
How naive was I to think my one day of interventions would save this medically complex and ill lady. I found out that despite having the blood , our iv access didn't work so by 6am , she had no blood and she passed . Our attending reassured us that we did our best and frankly they thought she'd have passed on her last admission for chf. 
May God rest her soul.

Our 30 yo metastatic ovarian ca lady felt a little better after our tap and started to eat some. However she has been anuric, without stool/flatus and remains sig. Anemic .....so we theorized she may have a bowel obstruction related to her huge solid mass cancer . Our attending said there's not a whole lot to do..she's not a surgical candidate ..that we can offer hospice at the clinic or home.... I will say that her pain was better controlled ....

So back to me...abdominal cramps and epigastric burning with aches throughout clinic. I took the free uganda govt rapid malaria test...negative . The techs ran my smear to be sure ..negative . So not feeling much better ...I walked the 30 minute walk home. I grabbed some carbonated drinks and buns as I'd been losing my appetite . Then it started . Politely..I was ...losing bicarbonate and intestinal epithelium via my gi tract . I crumpled over in abdominal cramps.... So..I probably have .... Diagnosis is what? 
So after some cipro and sleep... 24 hours after onset..feeling slightly better .

Needless to say...my mum was in a state of fright but I shall call her when its a reasonable stateside time :) 

That's all for today .


1 comment:

  1. I hope you are feeling better now or soon! Do you think it's viral, bacterial, or organismal?

    ReplyDelete