Sunday, September 27, 2009

Family Medicine and Surgery regrets

So my first week of family medicine was kinda lame as beans.

I mean how many lectures do I have to sit through, and do they not think 3hrs is a long , painful lecture? There are quite a few studies showing retention of a lecture after x amount of time....

We actually had such a long break in family medicine, that I went over with a friend to help out in the surgery clinic b/c the students on surgery were doing orientation and they needed some help. That was alot of fun.

But the thing is, it's easy to be jaded or a little critical. Surgery is very .. busy.. get there early, round, hit the OR up, floor duties.. just go go go and when you're not busy.. you're reading or just recovering.

Family is just a different pace. I begin my inpatient duties next week so I'm looking forward to that.. seeing patients again and being part of the hospital. That's the other thing, the hospital was home base in surgery and family has their own clinic and building so you feel kind of outcasted.

But we do some unique, cool stuff. We did a substance abuse workshop where we had "patients" where we counseled them on substance abuse.. Turns out they were all active AA members who had real life stories. It was an amazing experience to hear their stories and learn what is effective for substance abuse counseling.

The thing about choosing your future field as a doctor is that there are questions you have to ask yourself. Will this offer me the lifestyle I want? Will I be as enthusiastic about this 15-20yrs down the line? Will I kick ass at it, will I be the best I can be and do right by my patients?

While I think it'd be crazy to be a trauma surgeon, I can't imagine getting up early or spending time in the OR day in , day out or being limited to seeing my patients in 10 minutes spurts spread over 5-7 hours because of all the little things that come up during the course of the day. I need to see my patients, I love explaining things to them and I thrive off that. The anesthetized patient .. well... they're dead to me ( literally, figuratively)


I guess I've learned alot about friends and love and stuff like that. It's one of those cathartic weeks. Also, with all this time off and breaks, you get to thinking. So here are some observations and random ones too:

Friends are friends for life, if they're not.. they're not really friends in the truest sense of the word. Time and space can't break a friendship. Your friends will always remind you of the good in you and keep you honest about the bad.

Love the person that loves you first. This is counterintuitive but makes sense. Not everyone can love you like you love them. They just can't.

Work hard , it's what the world needs and it always makes a difference.

Enjoy everyone around you. Don't miss an opportunity to talk to someone new or someone old.

Working out feels great.. except when your butt hurts from those glute exercises.

90s, best music ever.. hands down.. amazing replayability

Everybody likes a rap song with a heavy beat and heavy laden with innuendos

Every important relationship and most things that are important are simple.. complexity is unhealthy.

Girls are smart, and smarter than we think.. and often.. smarter than they let on... realize this. Stick to the ones that stick with you.. and be skeptical of the rest..

Guys are straightforward and simple.. some.. mainly girls, would call this dumb. Inferences and lack of clarity = mystery = we don't really get it.

God made sisters to keep their brothers honest. They always want the best for their brothers but are also the ones to correct them and to tell them which girls to avoid.

We're not all born with the ability to sense or feel out others.. so if you have a friend who can.. always consult them.. haha

...more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment