Friday, May 2, 2014

Fridays in Uganda

ASo Friday was a mental health day so to speak.
Every once in a while, Dr.Downs advocates for us to take a mental break from the intensity / the culture / the emotional aspect of being in Uganda.
We all set out to do different things.

The girls (ash, court, traci) went to Mt. Elgon for some swimming and eats.

I decided to visit IU for Friday Prayer. Being my last Friday in Mbale and last Friday in Uganda, I wanted to have a spiritual kind of goodbye/closure. I've had the pleasure of meeting many Godly people: the Zaales , Tess/Tabbe , our Casa hosts . They don't all share the same religion per se but these people have a relentless spirit despite obstacles  coupled with warm hearts , welcoming natures and humility that puts me to shame .  

When I first signed up to go to Africa , I figured it'd be a once in a lifetime thing. Now , court and ash being smarter than I said I would change that sentiment , having travelled to Africa thrice. I have to agree, I've grown as a doctor, a human being in these three weeks . I can't imagine not traveling more in the future. 

I began my morning learning (from ash) how to wash my mud covered pants by hand. Let me show you my system ;) 

Three buckets: rinse / wash / dirt removal in bucket 1       Soap water wash in bucket 2 (the water container ) and end with soap rinse in bucket 3 


Muddy

Rinse the mud, scrub it off
For the tough stains 

Soap 
Suds cycle 
1.5 hours later , clean. 



Then I headed to Jummah (Friday Communal) Prayers . I wasn't quite sure when it started so I  headed to IU around noon via boda . Now, i rarely an early to prayers and today i was about 30 minutes early but it was nice to sit and reflect . I heard the call to prayer and watch the 100s of attendees start to pile in for the sermon. Today's sermon was on cheating. As in most religious traditions, cheating is frowned upon. Integrity is oft valued and usually viewed in parallel to piety.   Now the interesting thing is that this sermon is garnered towards the students of IU. As such, there's a very tangible concept/lesson to be taught . As they were approaching their final exams, the imam(priest) was reminding them of this important trait, of integrity and not cheating even when you are faced with difficult exams/ tests . 

The rest of the day was fairly unremarkable . I did some laundry and we were invited to dinner, by our casa hosts and now friends. 

One thing that I hope has become apparent, is that we were treated as friends / family of our many Ugandan hosts from the Zaales to our friends at Casa.  It's with a heavy heart that I enjoyed a meal with our friends Saleh and Baker and hope to hold true to their request for me to return in the future.

Uganda, you haven't seen the last of Scribe for Life. 








No comments:

Post a Comment