Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Human Experience

Lighting your arse on fire seems like a poorly thought out idea. 
Now if I add an element of etoh, the biological imperative need to procreate (in cruder terms , get laid )  being 
in a foreign country for a guise of anonymity, well that makes for some fun.
So while my crew enjoyed dinner, drinks and a majestic night sky overlooking the Nile, we also enjoyed the antics       O
Of some inebriated mzungas. 
Initially , their first contest of machismo was to try and consume a bottle of beer while a fire made its way up a 
sheet of toilet paper and towards their "rear passage." The goal would be to consume the beer prior to a fire 
Causing mucosal injury of the, of the rectum. 
My colleagues recommended that we keep quiet about our medical...training . 
Which left me to ponder how I would treat a rectal burn in this camp around the Nile.
I imagine I could order someone to generously apply neosporin (from my first aid kit) to his rectum and call for an ambulance? 
Such are the thoughts of an older, hopefully wiser me ( your blog author) 
Having said that, I decided to grab my ipad and author this entry , only to witness ...something remarkable .
Apparently one of these ..young people decided to strip nekkid and scale the roof of this bar . 
Classic. 
Now , perhaps I'm a bit hypocritical in my assessment of these young people. Having rafted the Nile, surely they 
are entitled to antics. I've had my share of brilliant ideas and trying to .. attract the attention of ladies...back in the
 day ;) 
Naw, who am I kidding, this makes for great observational humor. 
Having scaled mountains, treated patients in desperate situations and seen truly amazing individuals in Uganda, 
I'm using my free pass to critique and creatively write. :) 
Due to my sketchy wifi , I'm drafting this entry while reading a book on my kindle..and of course mzunga watching .

Now , I truly admire a good narrative writer. The kind of writer who uses his words to paint a picture, to elicit 
emotions in his reader, to transport us to the setting. Some authors come to mind, Sandeep Jauhar , Atul 
Gawande , David Sedaris and most recently : Ishmael Beah , author of A Long Way Gone : Memoirs of a Boy 
Soldier.  This is such a captivating read, just read it, worth it.
Props to Traci Downs for the recommendation .

I hope my readers can laugh with me, try to share in my experience as well. 

Oh and now the reappearance of "that girl."
You know the one, that can't quite dance but finds herself repeatedly standing on the bench awkwardly swaying 
to garner the attention of...some phallic driven male . 
Dare I say , her efforts won't be in vain . 

The doctor in me says exercise some protection .
The Darwinian in me says, wrap that .... Up.  ;) 

Then of course , immediately behind me, the philosophers and political scientists . 

I'm only hearing a few words here and there mostly consisting of:
Americans 
Imperialism 
Africa 
Etc. 

Now someone got their hands on a unicycle. 
Wowsers. 

Now things have quieted down a bit.
There's still one guy whoring for attention on the unicycle. 

A larger group has gathered to play circle of death 

At 1130, it looks like things have largely cooled down . 

The only other character to arrive on scene was a shy asian gentleman . He is of average height, glasses , button up and long cargos with above the ankle socks in very conventional sneakers. He appears to be in deep conversation with another ... Um... Nerd. Both fortunately and unfortunately , he is unlikely to be involved in .. Sexual impropriety this evening . 

Good night. 

- Rob













No comments:

Post a Comment