Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Post

It's been a while since I've blogged, I'm pretty sure there's an inactive livejournal account somewhere and even  a Blogger account. 

I suppose an introduction is in order. My name is Robert. I'm a second year medical student studying in GA.  My Blog title is a direct reference to my tendency to get the scribe position in group. Basically, for a lack of a better word, the scribe is the group bitch. Any issues that need to be types, emails that need to be sent out or diagrams that need to be pulled up/created is under the scribe role.  Our school is PBL - Problem Based Learning

I actually like being a med student, in a sort of sadomasochist kind of way. Usually I have to remember which is which, sadist being enjoying pain in others and masochist, pain on self but being a med student is both. You see.. we sacrifice the better part of our 20s or 30s for some of my peers  and tons of loan  money (I'm talking a house downpayment and a nice car in order to work our way up a totem pole to become a licensed physician at which point an untimely law suit or act of stupidity can result in you losing all of it). The pain on others is well what doctors do. Just the other day, my right index finger was knuckle deep in a man's rectum feeling around for a prostate. Thank God for video games, my finger pivoting abilities were quite sharp ;)

However, those precious few times where I know the answer to the question or I can help a patient in any way.. makes it all worth it. Scenarior: (pretty) Nurse asks doctor that I'm shadowing to tell her what a G6PD test is, she can't find it in the code book. Doctor turns to me and asks, what's G6PD? I answer Glucose 6 Phosphate Dehydrodenase Deficiency Test... He nods, and I get an incredulous look from aforementioned nurse. My day is made. It's the little things.


So that's it for now.  I'm also going to keep a boards study countdown going (when I begin studying): 9 weeks...


No comments:

Post a Comment